With the introduction of the Jupiter theme in version 98, you may have wondered about the fate of Paper Lantern. Today we officially announce Paper Lantern’s deprecation and its eventual removal from the product. What does this mean for you? If you are already using Jupiter, relax; you are good for all future updates. If you are using Paper Lantern, why not give Jupiter a try? You can continue using Paper Lantern for the short term, but eventually, we will stop supporting this theme.
How much time do you have to switch? Here is the schedule:
In version 100 (debuting in Fall, 2021):
- Brand new installations of cPanel & WHM will consider Jupiter to be the default theme for all new accounts.
- Already existing installations of cPanel & WHM will remain unaffected. If you are using a third-party theme, you will remain unaffected.
- Support will continue for the Paper Lantern theme.
In version 102 (debuting in Early 2022):
- cPanel’s development and release teams will focus on new development for Jupiter.
- Non-emergency and non-security related maintenance for Paper Lantern will wind down.
- This will be the last release for Paper Lantern. To continue using the Paper Lantern theme, you must stay on version 102. We will continue to support version 102 for the duration of the LTS period.
In version 104 (debuting in Spring, 2022):
- We will remove the Paper Lantern theme from the cPanel interface.
- We will stop all development for the Paper Lantern theme.
- We will move existing users of Paper Lantern to Jupiter upon updating to version 104.
- cPanel & WHM’s public documentation will assume the Jupiter theme in the cPanel interface. Public documentation for previous versions of cPanel & WHM will remain unaffected.
We will continue supporting the Paper Lantern theme for any previous versions of cPanel, according to our Long Term Support Policy.
With a deprecation this large, we understand you may have questions and concerns. Deprecating Paper Lantern allows us to focus on improving the cPanel experience in the Jupiter theme. Now, more than ever, is the time to let us know what we can improve going forward.
As always, if you have any feedback or comments, please let us know. We are here to help in the best ways we can. You’ll find us on Discord, the cPanel forums, and Reddit. Be sure to also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.